Monday, February 20, 2006

Mountain Low

For those of you who aren't basketball fans click away to another blog. HA HA, who am I kidding you all are basketball fans, cause the only people reading this blog are family members . . . So anyway I can't criticize WVU's basketball team too much, but tonight I wanted to pick the TV up and throw it across the room. So here is a rant on WVU vs. Syracuse:

Why did we stand and look at the Syracuse players in their zone like we had never seen one of these before? I swear I read J.D. Collins' lips and he said, "What the hell do we do?"

We NEVER penetrated the zone to score, we always looked to pass first, "Hello? Anyone on this team want to take a shot that is NOT behind the three-point line?"

Our interior defense stinks. It stinks. If they caught the ball in the paint they scored. Either an aggressive take to the hoop, or a dunk, but they scored every damn time, and we still refuse to play in front on the post. Sidenote: I can't understand, for the life of me, why we don't front in the post. It puts pressure on the passer to make an excellent lob over not only the defensive man in the post, but over his own man, and with the proper backside help that pass should only result in a positive play maybe once a game.

I am not sure how John Beilein kept his cool and not throw a fit on the sidelines. If that was my team standing around on the offensive end of the floor I would have ripped someone's head off.

Why wasn't Darris Nichols in the game late? J.D. Collins looked so scared I thought he was going to pee his shorts. He didn't want to take the ball to the hoop, he didn't want to shoot it, and he had no idea what they were trying to do when they had the ball for the last shot. Sidenote: For all the praise he receives from the WVU broadcast team, J.D. is a liability late in any ball game, he can'tdrive to the hoop, he can't make an outside jumps shot even if you left him wide open (see UConn game) and apparently he loses all command of the offense late in a game.

I am not a "sky is falling" type of guy, and if I am frustrated by the play tonight then I know the team is, but everyone knew this was going to be a tough stretch and the Big East is a very tought conference, but I don't like the play I am seeing from this team. Hopefully come Big East tourney time they will be ready, because they aren't going to sneak up on anyone this tourney time.

No comments: