Monday, February 13, 2006

Keeping Up with the Zundells

This past weekend I visited my brother Adam and sister in-law Kelly. Adam invites me (or I invite myself) over each year for the Duke/Maryland basketball game. Luckily I looked ahead at the WVU schedule and realized that I could do the Duke/MD game on Saturday and pull the WVU/Georgetown game on Sunday as well.

Kelly and Adam were very good hosts and were nice to let me stay at their house for what amounted to 3 nights and almost 4 days. We were involved in a Winter Wonderland that was as much of a Winter Wonderland as predicted.

Duke vs. Maryland was a good game, better and closer than I though it would be. I am always impressed by the support and the facilities at Maryland. If the Comcast Center isn't the top basketball facility in the country then I want to see the place that is. It is top notch, and reminds me of a professional arena. J.J. Redick displayed why he is a candidate for the Player of the Year, although watch him play defense a few series and I contend that he could be the worst defensive player to win that award. He is out of postion about half the time. The other observation I made was that Maryland ran the flex offense. Now the flex offense is the greatest pattern offense in all of time. Everyone has run flex at one time or another in their life so you would think that Duke of all people would be able to defend the flex, but nope, Maryland got a few good looks and a few points from this offense. Crazy.

Due to snow complications we couldn't meet up with my other brother Trent and his wife Rachael. So Adam, Kelly and I ate at ribs place where the ribs were excellent and Yueling was on tap . . . it was definately a watch.

Sunday we woke to no power due to the Winter Wonderland, but no problem, after figuring out how to light the stove, Adam was cooking pancakes to keep us warm.

Sunday night brought the WVU/Georgetown game and I was lucky enough to be able to go with Trent's friend Dan and sit in a box with Dan, Trent, Rachael and my buddy Dave, after Adam had worked the phones to get us tickets to the game. It was a team effort by Trent and Adam to get me into the game after I kinda came up with the idea and really pushed it onto everyone else. A WVU win spelled a good time for all.

Headed back earlier today, had to stop at the Nike outlet in Hagerstown. It is a manditory stop. Overall had a very good weekend and if it hadn't been for my hosts Adam and Kelly, and my ticket broker Trent, it would have just been me stuck in a Winter Wonderland.

No comments: