Tuesday, December 07, 2004

something witty and towels

I started this blog because a lot of the time I feel that I have funny things to say or commentary to add, but as I sit down to compose this blog entry I realize that I am blank. I have no funny thoughts. Nothing funny to comment on. Until now (I knew if I just started to ramble something would come to me):

A funny thing happened to me yesterday, it is either funny or gross, you be the judge. I work out here at the college over at the rec center and I usually go in the mornings at 7am. I work out, shower in the locker room and then get dressed for work, so I take all of that stuff with me on a daily basis, occasionally on Mondays I forget to pack something in my workout bag, cause it's Monday and I usually am packing in a hurry or I forget on Friday that I ran out of shampoo or forgot my shoes for work and have to wear running shoes all day, or something like that.

Well yesterday I workout, go down to the locker room and unpack my bag and get ready to go to the shower and realize I forgot my towel. There are some things I can make do without, I can wash my hair with soap if I forget my shampoo, and I can use soap to replace my shaving cream, wet paper towel to replace my Q-tips, I am the freakin' McGyver of toiletry items, but I can't find anything to replace my towel. Not paper towels, not toilet paper. So I had to weigh my options.

Do I get dressed and go back home to shower? No, that would take too much time and I would be late for work. Do I go upstairs and get about 10 little workout towels and use them? No, I have to get dressed again and I don't want to be walking out of the workout room with 10 little towels. People would stare. So, last resort. I know that I keep the combination for my locker on the back of my lock. I would never remember it otherwise and there is nothing kept in my locker that anyone would want to steal unless someone is really hard up for cologne and I have a bottle of Liz Claiborne Sport in there. So I though let's look around the locker room find a locker with a towel and then see if they do what I do and keep the combination on the back.

I search the room for lockers with towels. I find one, no combination on the back, I find another, damn, it's a key lock, another, no combination on the back. I am down to my last one, it has 2 towels, now hopefully A. It has the combination on the back and B. No one walks in and sees me breaking into someone else's locker, YES! It has the combination. So I frantically dial up the combination, once, won't open, twice, won't open. You would think I was on a big bank heist nervously opening the vault that contained all the gold you could carry. I tell myself "Ok slow down and get it right." I slow down entering in the numbers and presto open locker. I quickly pull out what looks to be the cleanest towel. I give it a sniff check and surprisingly it is fine. I don't mean like it's bearable, I mean it actually seems like a newly clean one, one not previously used (at least that is what I believe and I will believe it forever). I quickly close the locker and grab up my newly acquired towel and head to the shower. I sniff the towel at least 3-4 more times just to make sure it's ok, and use it dry off after my shower.

Now if I could put a face on the towel, no matter who's towel it was, if the owner had a face I don't think I could have used it. It would have been me and a roll of paper towels drying off, but because it was a little towel stuck in a locker with no owner I was able to put my fears aside and use the towel, and no I didn't put it back in the locker after I used it. I am taking it home and washing it, then putting it back.

The next question is, do I fold it up and put it back like I am saying, "Someone broke into your locker, not only to steal this towel and use it, but broke back in later to put it back." Or do I make it look like it was never taken? I will keep you posted.

No comments: