Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Bloggin Back where I belong

Ok, ok I am trying to get back into the blog swing of things. I know it has been awhile but I will try to keep a better vigil with the blog.

About a week ago, Owen and I had a chance to spend 4 days with each other, and those 4 days were fun, but also a tad bit exhausting. I had to take Owen to my office two of the days and the other two days we spent hanging out. Here are some things I learned over those days:

• I am pretty sure Owen will be a lady killer. The boy can pick good-looking women out, and I am surprised about how forward he is, he will grab their hand pull them the way he wants to go and says “Come play with me.” I should have used this approach to pick up women when I was younger.

• Paperclips, and lots of them, are a good way to entertain a 2 year old. He’s old enough to know not to eat them, and young enough to not be bored within 30 seconds.

• Putt-Putt golf is definitely for kids 4 and over. A 2 year old only wants to test the physics of the ball on a lumpy putting surface.

• Owen is attached to all kinds of balls, and would not throw his ball in the hole on the 18th green. After seeing my ball disappear down a tube at the bottom of the hole, Owen declared, “No throw my ball in the tuba!”

• Telling your son to be quiet as you hustle out of the putt-putt area with a pilfered blue putt-putt golf ball may not be a good thing to teach your son.

• Don’t force food. When he/she is hungry they will eat.

• Do take advantage of places that will feed your kid for free. This helps with the last one, cause if your kid doesn’t eat the free stuff then you don’t feel like pushing him to eat it in fear of wasting it.

• The pet store to a 2 year old is just as good as any zoo.

• An umbrella and hose are fun for hours in the back yard on a sunny warm day.

• Owen discovered sweat for the first time, and asked me, “Daddy, why is my hair wet?” and that was the biggest thing I learned over those 4 days . . . that everything can be a new experience for children and some of the basic things we know are sometimes brand new to them.

No comments: