Tuesday, June 13, 2006

All-Star Update #1


Well this could be either a short-lived series of updates, or it could last through July and the All-Star game, depending on if I get picked to be an All-Star volunteer.

I attended a mandatory meeting on Friday at PNC park where we got envelopes that had our work schedules in it, then we sat in the stands and watched a video on the jumbotron about the 2005 All-Star game in Detroit and then we had a woman from MLB and a woman from the Pittsburgh Pirates H.R. Department (who by the way was a little too “gung-ho” for me and most of the crowd there.) We were informed that there have been over 3,500 people sign up to be volunteers and they only need about 1,600 and that we may not all be chosen. This worried me a little since I don’t live in Pittsburgh and I could be one of the first ones cut, but I left the work schedule wide-open so I could be available any time so that could be a plus for me.

After our little talk, we were instructed to go back in the same line we were in for our envelopes and give the workers our schedules and they would then ask us 5 short questions and we could then be on our way. Being in the U-Z line is an advantage as I was the second person to have my “interview” and after driving for 3 hours and getting there at 11:30 a.m. and meeting at noon, by 1:15 p.m. I was done. They said they will send us letters in the mail over the next 2 weeks letting us know if we made the cut or not, so I hope that I can continue on in the process or All-Star Update #2 might be the last update.

No comments: