Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The Detroit "D"


First I must admit that I am a bit of a sports uniform/logo junkie. Not that I collect them or anything, but I am just interested in the intricacies and details of uniforms. Well the other night when I was channel surfing and the Detroit Tigers and Cleveland Indians were playing it brought to mind one of the biggest uniform discrepancies in all of sports, the Detroit “D” issue. As you can see from the photo, the “D” on the jersey and on the hat for the Tigers is completely different. After doing some research, the answer to this issue can be found here and here and basically what they are saying is that MLB has standard logos for print and web but no standardization for the product used on the field and that this isn’t just an issue for the Tigers, but a few other clubs as well (Yankees and Cardinals).

Now this may bore you or it might interest you, but I thought I would share with you some of the crazy stuff that goes through my head when I watch a ball game. Some things that I notice completely distract me from the game (like when Oregon broke out these for their bowl game.) It is a curse.