Monday, March 06, 2006

But you have to see it again

This line has been used on me many times over the past few months about bad movies, or should I say movies I think are bad and that people think I need to view a second time to truly appreciate how they go from a crap film to Oscar nominated in that second viewing.

I am of the opinion that if a movie sucks the first time you see it then it will suck the second time you see it. Believe me, I don’t need to see Napoleon Dynamite again to know how bad it is. What am I going to learn from watching it a second time? Unless under some sort of influence things that weren’t funny the first time are still not going to be funny the second time.

Why would I ever watch a movie that I hated the first time again? Why? No there is no good answer to that. There is no way, just for the fun of it, that I would ever sit and watch Donny Darko, Anchorman, or Cry Baby again. Never. These movies had a shot the first time I wasted 2 hours on them, and to me, they didn’t warrant a second chance. People get second chances, restaurants get second chances, movies . . . no.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Kirby Puckett passed away today at age 45. One of the best baseball names of all time, Kirby Puckett. Can't get a better baseball name than that.

I wasn’t a big Puckett fan, although he played the game with passion and enthusiasm. All I remember is that 1991 World Series against the Braves and games 6 and 7, bringing the Twins back to beat the Braves. I was a Twins fan that year.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Did anyone notice that the winners of the Oscars for best male (Philip Seymour Hoffman for portraying Truman Capote) and female (Reese Witherspoon for playing June Carter) were portraying real people. Is this acting or just impersonating? I don’t know for sure. Are we more impressed because they got these people right rather than someone portraying an original character?

No comments: