Friday, January 14, 2005

Nerves

Ok, so tomorrow is the biggest game of the year for the beloved Steelers. At 4:30 p.m. they take on the Jets, and I have been waiting all week for this.

At the first part of the week I didn’t read to much about the game, just did my usual sports updating and checked ESPN.com every so often like I normally do. I got onto ebay and even looked at prices of tickets, all way too expensive for someone in my tax bracket.

Then as the week moved along I started to read more about the game, and the more I read the more nervous I started to get. PostGazette.com story about the marketing of Big Ben, ESPN article about Ellis running his mouth, New York Post had a Pennington article about him missing practice, a few things here and there, but compared to the other games of this weekend the Steelers/Jets game is getting the least amount of play, which is fine with me. The less I hear the better I feel, until today.

Now the game is less than 24 hours away, and I am not sure what is going on with me. I get to the point where I start to get a little nervous but I am able to talk my way back down. One person that makes me be this way is my buddy Bruce. Bruce treats every game of the season like a playoff game, and I have become his voice of reason. Early in the season when we played the Browns in week 9 and I remember him calling and being nervous about that game and I had to talk him down to a comfort level. Actually me and Joey Porter getting into a fight helped calm his nervous about that one. Early this week Bruce and I talked again and me reasoning to him why he shouldn’t be nervous actually made me feel less nervous about this game. That combined with the relative lack of attention by the media as a whole has made me feel more comfortable about this game.

That doesn’t mean that at about 4:30 tomorrow that I won’t be wanting to jump out of my own skin, but at least I will be able to make it until.

Here we go Steelers, Here we go!

No comments: