Monday, January 10, 2005

A Dog with a Bone

I don’t spend a great amount of time in my car on a daily basis. Probably all in all it may average about 20 minutes in the car a day (to and from work, to and from lunch). I listen to ESPN Radio usually during those times, I listen to music mostly at work so I like to get caught up on the daily sporting events and hear what people are talking about.

I never really realized how ESPN specifically gets on a topic, beats the topic to death, takes the dead topic and drags it through the streets, then throws it off a 30 story building, then takes the topic and runs over it 400 times with a car, then burns the topic, then comes back on Tuesday and repeats for about a week, until we were traveling last week and we heard Dan Patrick for the better part of 2 hours talk about whether or not Michael Vick was worth his new contract. Renea was the one to point this out, I saw her get aggravated about a topic she neither cared about nor wanted to listen to:

After the first 15 minutes . . . “What is the big deal!” she said.

After the first 30 minutes . . . “I am sick of hearing about Vick and Manning.”

After 60 minutes . . . “You have got to be kidding me.”

After an hour and half . . . “God! Just shut up about the contract!”

After 2 hours . . . “Please, for the love of God, cut my ears off. PLEASE!!!”

New topic today is the Randy Moss fake mooning.

Now Renea and I had watched the GB vs. Minnesota game yesterday and saw what Randy Moss did and we both kind of chuckled when we saw it, then we heard Joe Buck scold Randy and it was like seeing someone do something funny then have their parents scold them and you try not to laugh. That was us, we both looked at each other like “Whoops, maybe we shouldn’t have laughed.”

Today was much the same on the radio with this topic. On my drive into work I hear Mike and Mike discuss the Randy Moss “mooning incident”. Then coming home for lunch it’s Colin Cowherd’s chance to talk about the Randy Moss incident.

Now at lunch today Renea was going with me as we went to buy our new carpet during my lunch break, so I warned her before we even got into the car. “Now remember how mad you got last week when they talked about Vick’s contract?” She nodded. “Well I am telling you now all you are going to hear about is stuff about Randy Moss and him mooning.”

We drove down to order our new carpet and on the way down and the way back we heard Dan Patrick again talk for about 40 minutes total about this Randy Moss thing, and I guarantee that on my home there will be more of the same.

Just let it go people! The more people talk about it the more he enjoys it. Randy Moss has the whole sports world basically talking about a fake “mooning”. I mean if he had actually pulled his pants down I could justify the coverage, but come on! I have seen worse. Don’t show it and don’t talk about how outraged you are. That is what he wants. Do you think for a moment that if it didn’t get this type of response he would be doing it still? Do you think he cares that you are “outraged”? Randy only cares about Randy, so let it go. Just for once I would like one of these sports outlets to say, “We have decided that the Moss issue is a non-issue and we aren’t going to talk about it. Instead we are going to talk about how Brett Favre threw his teams hope of winning away with 4 interceptions, and how Payton Manning destroyed the Broncos defense in the first half.”

Those are topics I wish they would tackle, then drive a bulldozer over, then bury, then pour cement over, then . . .

No comments: