Thursday, February 01, 2007

So I went to a funeral today

Tim and I drove up to Perry, Ohio (you go to Cleveland and hang a right towards Erie, PA) to attend the funeral service of our friend Andi (see Closing Time below). The best thing in the world to help me get over this sore spot in my heart was to drive these 3+ hours with my friend Tim who was closer to Andi than I. We knew her at the same time, and we shared stories and memories of the Andi we knew. We laughed a whole lot and it really brought her spirit back to me. It brought her sayings and mannerisms to the forefront of my mind. He smile and her laugh, the joking way she would say “Good DAY Sir!” like Willie Wonka (in the original) and how she would pretend quit five times a day.

The funeral was touching and sad, to see her younger twin brothers, her mom and dad and sister and nieces, and people who were strangers to me, but friends to Andi, moved by the service and taking their opportunity to say good bye. I have to admit, a few times I almost broke down, but the thoughts of Andi and memories shared with Tim on the way up there just made me smile instead.

It was a long drive and a long day, but oh so worth it.

No comments: