Tuesday, March 22, 2005

My Favorite Time of the Year

Ever since I was a kid I would look forward to the NCAA tournament. I remember taking the bracket that came with my Sports Illustrated and filling it out as teams advanced through the tournament, and when there was an eventual winner I would design a mini banner with that team’s name and colors.

In high school and college I started to pick the winners and play in different pools, but no matter if there was money involved, win or lose I still loved the tournament.

Now I run an Office Pool, that has grown into something rather large, and since I started working here at the college I have taken the afternoons of the first two days of the tournament and gone to Damon’s and surrounded myself with buzzer beaters and Cinderellas, beer and wings, and friends and family.

I have always watched the tournament with an outsiders’ view. Just enjoying the tournament and the games for what they were, just great games.

Things have changed a little for me this year. The Mountaineers are in the tournament and doing well. I was just happy with one win for my team, but last Saturday I witnessed one of the greatest games I have ever seen in the NCAA tournament (and believe me I have seen a ton of games).

So this year brings a unique combination that I would love to get used to. Having the tournament and all of the games and the drama that comes with it, and also having a team that I can honestly root for and get behind for more than one game.

I have enjoyed so many tournaments over the years. I have enjoyed rooting for the underdogs in the NC State team in 1983 and the Villanova team in 1985, probably the last real underdogs to win the tournament. Could this be another year for the underdog? I don’t know, but I would love the chance to not only root for the underdog, but it to also be the Mountaineers.

No comments: